Thursday, March 7, 2019

Forward the Foundation Chapter 20

22Yugo Amaryl said, Here you are once ofttimes(prenominal), Dors.Sorry, Yugo. Im bothering you twice this week. Actu onlyy you dont see whatsoever single very(prenominal) often, do you?Amaryl said, I dont encourage people to visit me, no. They tilt to interrupt me and break my line of intellection. non you, Dors. Youre altogether special, you and Hari. Theres n eer a day I dont remember what you two channelize d bingle for me.Dors waved her hand. lug it, Yugo. Youve failed hard for Hari and both trifling frameness we did for you has long been overpaid. How is the shed spill? Hari never talks intimately it- non to me, anyway.Amaryls instance lightened and his whole body seemed to dart on an infusion of life. Very well. Very well. Its difficult to talk most it with forth mathematics, however the progress weve made in the last two age is amazing- more than than in all the time before that. Its as though, after weve been lb onward and hammering away, social occa sions have finally begun to break loose.Ive been hearing that the new-fangled equations worked bulge by Dr. Elar have helped the situation.The achaotic equations? Yes. Enormously.And the Electro-Clarifier has been helpful, too. I spoke to the wo part who designed it.Cinda Monay?Yes. Thats the angiotensin converting enzyme.A very clever woman. Were fortunate to have her.Tell me, Yugo-You work at the Prime Radiant virtually all the time, dont you?Im more or less constantly studying it. Yes.And you study it with the Electro-Clarifier.Certainly.Dont you ever deem of winning a vacation, Yugo?Amaryl looked at her owlishly, blinking slowly. A vacation?Yes. Surely youve comprehend the word. You k instantly what a vacation is.why should I deem a vacation?Because you seem dreadfully commonplace to me.A minuscular, now and then. save I dont postulate to leave the work.Do you feel more tired now than you used to?A little. Im getting h angiotensin converting enzymest-to-god, Dors.You re only forty-nine.Thats tranquillise older than Ive ever been before.Well, let it go. Tell me, Yugo- average to change the subject. How is Hari doing at his work? Youve been with him so long that no whiz could possibly agnise him better than you do. Not even I. At least, as far as his work is concerned.Hes doing very well, Dors. I see no change in him. He still has the quickest and brightest brain in the place. Age is having no effect on him-at least, non so far.Thats good to hear. Im afraid that his own opinion of himself is not as high as yours is. Hes not taking his age well. We had a difficult time getting him to celebrate his recent birthday. Were you at the festivities, by the way? I didnt see you.I attended part of the time. provided, you roll in the hay, parties of that kind are not the sort of thing I feel at home with.Do you turn over Hari is wearing aside? Im not referring to his psychic brilliance. Im referring to his physical capacities. In your opinion, is h e suppuration tired-too tired to bear up under his responsibilities?Amaryl looked astonished. I never gave it any thought. I baset imagine him growing tired.He may be, just the same. I think he has the impulse, now and then, to give up his post and hand the task over to rough younger man.Amaryl sit back in his chair and put cut the graphic stylus he had been fiddling with ever since Dors had entered. What Thats ridiculous inconceivableAre you sure?Absolutely. He certainly wouldnt consider such a thing without discussing it with me. And he hasnt.Be reasonable, Yugo. Hari is exhausted. He tries not to show it, solely he is. What if he does decide to retire? What would wrench of the stand? What would be incur of psychohistory?Amaryls eyes narrowed. Are you joking, Dors?No. Im just nerve-racking to look into the future.Surely, if Hari retires, I imitate to the post. He and I ran the lying-in for eld before anyone else united us. He and I. No one else. Except for him, no one knows the Project as I do. Im amazed you dont take my succession for granted, Dors.Dors said, Theres no chief in my mind or in anyone elses that you are the logical successor, except do you loss to be? You may know everything about psychohistory, but do you want to throw yourself into the politics and complexities of a large Project and abandon much of your work in order to do so? Actually its trying to keep everything moving smoothly thats been wearing Hari rout. whoremaster you take on that part of the job?Yes, I can and its not more or lessthing I intend to discuss. Look here, Dors. Did you come here to break the parole that Hari intends to ease me out?Dors said, Certainly not How could you think that of Hari Have you ever known him to turn on a friend?Very well, then. Lets put away the subject. Really, Dors, if you dont mind, there are things I must do. Abruptly he wittinessy away from her and bent over his work once more.Of course. I didnt consider to take up this mu ch of your time.Dors left, frowning.23Raych said, Come in, Mom. The coast is return. Ive displace Manella and Wanda off somewhere.Dors entered, looked right and left out of sheer habit, and sat atomic reactor in the nearest chair.Thanks, said Dors. For a while she simply sat there, looking as if the weight of the Empire were on her shoulders.Raych waited, then said, I never got a chance to ask you about your wild escape into the Palace grounds. It isnt every guy who has a mom who can do that.Were not talking about that, Raych.Well then, communicate me. **Youre not one for giving anything away by facial expressions, but you look sorta down. Why is that?Because I feel, as you say, sorta down. In fact, Im in a bad mood because I have terribly important things on my mind and theres no use talking to your father about it. Hes the most wonderful man in the world, but hes very hard to handle. Theres no chance that hed take an interest in the spectacular. He dismisses it all as my irra tional fears for his life-and my succeeding attempts to protect him.Come on, Mom, you do seem to have irrational fears where Dads concerned. If youve got something dramatic in mind, its probably all reproach.Thank you. You sound just akin he does and you leave me frustrated. Absolutely frustrated.Well then, unburden yourself, Mom. Tell me whats on your mind. From the beginning.It starts with Wandas dream.Wandas dream Mom Maybe youd better stop right now. I know that Dad wont want to listen if you start that way. I mean, come on. A little kid has a dream and you make a big propagate of it. Thats ridiculous.I dont think it was a dream, Raych. I think what she thought was a dream were two real people, talking about what she thought concerned the death of her grandfather.Thats a wild guess on your part. What possible chance does this have of being true?Just aver it is true. The one phrase that remained with her waslemonade death. Why should she dream that? Its much more in all ak inlihood that she heard that and distorted the words she heard-in which case, what were the undistorted words?I cant tell you, said Raych, his voice incredulous.Dors did not fail to catch that. You think this is just my sick invention. Still, if I happen to be right, I might be at the start of unraveling a conspiracy against Hari right here in the Project.Are there conspiracies in the Project? That sounds as impossible to me as finding significance in a dream.Every large stand is riddled with angers, frictions, jealousies of all sorts.Sure. Sure. Were talking nasty words and faces and nose thumbing and twaddle bearing. Thats nothing at all equivalent talking conspiracy. Its not like talking about killing Dad.Its just a difference in degree. A small difference-maybe.Youll never make Dad believe that. For that matter, youll never make me believe that. Raych walked hastily across the room and back again, And youve been trying to nose out this so-called conspiracy, have you?Dors nodd ed.And youve failed.Dors nodded.Doesnt it occur to you that youve failed because there is no conspiracy, Mom? Dors shook her judgment. Ive failed so far, but that doesnt shake my belief that one exists. I have that feeling.Raych laughed. You sound very ordinary, Mom. I would expect more from you than I have that feeling.There is one phrase that I think can be distorted into lemonade. Thats layman-aided. Laymanayded? Whats that?Layman-aided. Two words. A layman is what the mathematicians at the Project call nonmathematicians.Well?Suppose, interjected Dors firmly, someone spoke of layman-aided death, meaning that some way could be found to kill Hari in which one or more nonmathematicians would play an essential role. Might that not have sounded to Wanda like lemonade death, considering that she had never heard the phrase layman-aided any more than you did, but that she was extraordinarily fond of lemonade?Are you trying to tell me that there were people in Dads private office, of all places. How many people, by the way?Wanda, in describing her dream, says two. My own feeling is that one of the two was none other than Colonel Hender Linn of the junta and that he was being shown the Prime Radiant and that there must have been a discussion involving the elimination of Hari.Youre getting wilder and wilder, Mom. Colonel Linn and another man in Dads office talking murder and not knowing that there was a little girl hidden in a chair, overhearing them? Is that it?More or less.In that case, if there is mention of laymen, then one of the people, presumably the one that isnt Linn, must be a mathematician.It would seem to be so.That seems utterly impossible. and even if it were true, which mathematician do you suppose might be in distrust? There are at least fifty in the Project.I havent questioned them all. Ive questioned a a couple of(prenominal) and some laymen, too, for that matter, but I have show no leads. Of course, I cant be too open in my questions.In short, no one you have interviewed has given you any lead on any dangerous conspiracy.No.Im not surprised. They havent done so, because-I know your because, Raych. Do you suppose people are going to break down and give away conspiracies under mild questioning? I am in no position to try to beat the information out of anyone. Can you imagine what your father would say if I upset one of his precious mathematicians?Then, with a sudden change in the intonation of her voice, she said, Raych, have you talked to Yugo Amaryl lately?No, not recently. Hes not one of your sociable creatures, you know. If you pulled the psychohistory out of him, hed grant into a little pile of dry skin.Dors made a face at the picture and said, Ive talked to him twice recently and he seems to me to be a little withdrawn. I dont mean just tired. It is almost as though hes not alert of the world.Yes. Thats Yugo.Is he getting worse lately?Raych thought awhile. He might be. Hes getting older, you know. We all are. Excep t you, Mom.Would you say that Yugo had get over the line and become a little unstable, Raych?Who? Yugo? He has nothing to be unstable about. Or with. Just leave him at his psychohistory and hell mumble lightly to himself for the rest of his life.I dont think so. There is something that interests him-and very strongly, too. Thats the succession.What succession?I mentioned that someday your father might want to retire and it turns out that Yugo is determined-absolutely determined-to be his successor.Im not surprised. I imagine that everyone fit outs that Yugo is the natural successor. Im sure Dad thinks so, too.But he seemed to me to be not quite normal about it. He thought I was coming to him to break the news that Hari had shoved him aside in favor of someone else. Can you imagine anyone thinking that of Hari?It is surprising- Raych interrupted himself and elevate his mother with a long look. He said, Mom, are you getting found to tell me that it might be Yugo whos at the heart of this conspiracy youre communicate of? That he wants to get rid of Dad and take over?Is that totally impossible?Yes, it is, Mom. Entirely. If theres anything wrong with Yugo, its overwork and nothing else. Staring at all those equations or whatever they are, all day and half the night, would drive anyone crazy.Dors blush to her feet with a jerk. Youre right.Raych, startled, said, Whats the matter?What youve said. Its given me an entirely new idea. A all important(p) one, I think. Turning, without another word, she left.24Dors Venabili disapproved, as she said to Hari Seldon Youve spent four-spot days at the astronomic Library. Completely out of touch and again you managed to go without me.Husband and wife stared at each others image on their holoscreens. Hari had just returned from a research trip to the Galactic Library in Imperial Sector. He was calling Dors from his Project office to let her know hed returned to Streeling. Even in anger, thought Hari, Dors is beautiful. He wished he could reach out and touch her cheek.Dors, he began, a placating note in his voice, I did not go alone. I had a number of people with me and the Galactic Library, of all places, is safe for scholars, even in these turbulent times. I am going to have to be at the Library more and more often, I think, as time goes on.And youre going to continue to do it without intercourse me?Dors, I cant live according to these death-filled views of yours. Nor do I want you streamlet after me and upsetting the librarians. Theyre not the junta. I need them and I dont want to make them angry. But I do think that I-we-should take an flatcar nearby.Dors looked grim, shook her head, and changed the subject. Do you know that I had two talks with Yugo recently?Good. Im glad you did. He needs contact with the outside world.Yes, he does, because somethings wrong with him. Hes not the Hugo weve had with us all these age. Hes become vague, distant, and-oddly enough-passionate on only one point, as nearly as I can tell-his determination to succeed you on your retirement.That would be natural-if he survives me.Dont you expect him to survive you?Well, hes eleven years younger than I am, but the vicissitudes of circumstance-What you really mean is that you recognize that Yugo is in a bad way. He looks and acts older than you do, for all his younger age, and that seems to be a rather recent development. Is he ill?Physically? I dont think so. He has his periodic examinations. Ill admit, though, that he seems drained. Ive tried to persuade him to take a vacation for a few months-a whole years sabbatical, if he wishes. Ive suggested that he leave Trantor altogether, just so that he is as far away from the Project as possible for a while. There would be no problem in financing his stay on Getorin-which is a lovely resort world not too many light-years away.Dors shook her head impatiently. And, of course, he wont. I suggested a vacation to him and he acted as though he didnt know the meaning of the word. He absolutely refused.So what can we do? said Seldon.Dors said, We can think a little. Yugo worked for a can of a century on the Project and seemed to maintain his strength without any trouble at all and now suddenly he has weakened. It cant be age. Hes not yet fifty.Are you suggesting something?Yes. How long have you and Yugo been development this Electro-Clarifier thing on your Prime Radiants?About two years-maybe a little more.I presume that the Electro-Clarifier is used by anyone who uses the Prime Radiant.Thats right.Which means Yugo and you, mostly?Yes.And Yugo more than you?Yes. Yugo concentrates fiercely on the Prime Radiant and its equations. I, unfortunately, have to spend much of my time on administrative duties.And what effect does the Electro-Clarifier have on the piece body?Seldon looked surprised. Nothing of any significance that I am aware of.In that case, explain something to me, Hari. The Electro-Clarifier has been in operation for over two years and in that time youve grown measurably more tired, crotchety, and a little out of touch. Why is that?**Im getting older, Dors.Nonsense. Whoever told you that sixty is crystallized senility? Youre using your age as a crutch and a defense and I want you to stop it. Yugo, though hes younger, has been exposed to the Electro-Clarifier more than you have and, as a result, he is more tired, more crotchety, and, in my opinion, a great deal less in touch than you are. And he is rather childishly pictorial about the succession. Dont you see anything significant in this?Age and overwork. Thats significant.No, its the Electro-Clarifier. Its having a long-term effect on the two of you.After a pause, Seldon said, I cant confute that, Dors, but I dont see how its possible. The Electro-Clarifier is a device that produces an unusual electronic field, but it is still only a field of the type to which homophile beings are constantly exposed. It cant do any unusual harm. In any case, we cant give up its use. Theres no way of continuing the progress of the Project without it.Now, Hari, I must ask something of you and you must cooperate with me on this. Go nowhere outside the Project without telling me and do nothing out of the ordinary without telling me. Do you understand?Dors, how can I agree to this? Youre trying to put me into a straitjacket.Its just for a while. A few days. A week.Whats going to happen in a few days or a week?Dors said, Trust me. I will clear up everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment