Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Free Essays - The Ideologies of the Brotherhood in Invisible Man :: Invisible Man Essays

The Ideologies of the matrimony in Invisible Man       And he had precisely settled himself when he stared at my desk, saying, What you got there, Brother?  and pointed toward a pile of my papers.  I leaned slowly back in my chair, looking him in the eye.  Thats my work, I tell coldly, determined to stop any interference from the start.   But I bastardly that, he said, pointing, his eyes beginning to blaze, that there.   Its work, I said, all my work.   Is that too?  he said, pointing to Brother Tarps leg link.   Thats just a personal present, Brother,  I said.  What could I do for you?   That aint what I asked you, Brother.  What is it?   I picked up the link and held it toward him, the metal oleaginous and strangely skinlike now with the slanting sun entering the window.  Would you care to experience it, Brother?  One of our members wore it nineteen years on the chain gang.   fossa n o He recoiled.  i mean, no, thank you.  In fact, Brother, i dont deliberate we ought to look at such things around   You think so,  I said.  And just why?   Because I dont think we ought to dramatize our differences.   Im not dramatizing anything, its my personal property that happens to be lying on my desk. But people can see it   Thats true, I said.  But I think its a good reminder of what our exertion is fighting against.   No, suh  he said, shaking his head, no, suh  Thats the worse kind of thing for Brotherhood - because we want to make folks think of things we move over in common.  Thats what makes Brotherhood.  We have to change this way we have of always talking about how assorted we are.  In the Brotherhood, we are all brother.   I was amused.  He was obviously crazy by something deeper than a need to forget differences.  Fear was in his eyes.  I never thought of it just that wa y, Brother,  I said, dangling the iron surrounded by my finger and thumb. But you want to think about it, he said.  We have to discipline ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment